Well, So far so good. This diet is actually quite a bit easier and more enjoyable than I anticipated! I've learned a lot already about certain combinations of food and different cooking methods.
Here's what I've been eating the last 6 days:
greens (lettuce and bitter greens)
cabbage
tomatoes
potatoes
beets
broccoli
carrots
garlic
onions
blueberries (only a few)
frozen peaches
eggs
milk
cheese
So far, the only thing that I hoped to find locally produced that I haven't found yet is some type of oil or fat. I have a lead though: an acquaintance's mother makes butter from her own cow(s). I'm hoping to secure some next week. I've had a tough time preparing over-easy eggs without some type of fat.
As for the vegetable preparation, I've found that I really don't need any type of fat for cooking them, steaming works just fine. Also, the addition of garlic and onions makes everything better. I haven't even been using salt and pepper!
At this point, I've already decided that this month's experiment will change my eating habits long-term. The amount of satisfaction that comes from gathering food from local sources far outweighs the convenience of normal grocery store shopping. Last night I had the opportunity to visit a home garden that blew me away. They have so much great produce, and the gardener jokingly says he's really selling water. The seeds are cheap, so the water that it takes to grow the plants is his main investment. It was there that I got carrots, lettuce and tomatoes.
Never before in my life have I felt such a spiritual connection to my food. I prepare a dish, sit down to eat it, but before I do I actually remember to give thanks to something greater than myself that has allowed me to have this wonderfully healthy, fresh food. I get giddy.
That's all for now! Off to the Farmer's Market!
No comments:
Post a Comment